|Proper ways to harvest and plant lettuce- harvesting lettuce|
There are many benefits of eating lettuce so, people prefer to grow lettuce at home, and they must know the proper ways to harvest lettuce.
Table of contents:
- Things to keep in mind before harvesting lettuce,
- How to harvest lettuce?
- How to harvest lettuce seeds?
- Warnings while harvesting,
- What to do after harvesting?
- Time of harvesting lettuce?
- How to care before harvesting?
- Planting lettuce,
- Best types of lettuce to grow
- Lettuce seeds
1.Things to keep in mind before harvesting lettuce;
- It can be sold either by breaking its leaves or by cutting the whole plant.
- In the early stages: breaking its leaves will give more production, because you can break is leaves and take it for use and after a couple of days, the plant will bare new leaves which can be broken again.
- Those leaves can be sold by making bundles and the cost of each bundle depends on the market price, quality of leaves and type of lettuce.
- The plant becomes ready for harvesting, hardly after two months of growing. This is because the leaves become ready.
Time to harvest lettuce
- The plant must be ready for harvesting when the roots flourish easily inside the soil, it gets much nutrition which will continue the harvesting process without any problem.
- If the plant doesn't get enough nutrition, it can die very soon when the leaves are being broken continuously. So make sure that you add the required amount of fertilizers in the field before sowing the plant.
- Only fresh leaves are useable, remove all the unhealthy leaves when you select leaves.
- Cutting the whole plant for a commercial purpose is a common practice, many people like to buy the whole plant rather then leaves.
- You can cut those plants whose leaves are already broken and used. When the plant becomes old, you should cut them and take it for use.
- Cutting the whole plant directly means, you will get the price per plant at once only, after selling those plants, you will have to grow new plants.
- Lettuce plant should be harvested during the morning so that it can stay fresher for a long time.
- must be sent to the original consumer after 36 hours of cutting the plant.
- The plants keep on growing, and they must be harvested before the plant becomes long and colorless.
2. How to harvest lettuce?
- It is a soft and crisp crop, therefore it must be harvested during the morning so that it would stay fresh for a long time.
- In many places, the leaves are used for consumption, no need of cutting the whole plant directly, so you can break leaves for usage and let the plant grow.
- To take off the leaves you can use scissors and other cutting tools, don't break it with your hand or it may have a negative impact on the plant.
- The exact time taken by the plant to become ready for harvest is more than two months.
- While taking off the leaves, keep an eye on the plant, it must not get any disturbance which can lead to slow growth of the plant.
- Don't cut the leaves if the field is watered, or else the plant will die, or it will have a slow growth which can lead to low production.
- If you have grown lettuce plant to bare seeds from the plant, then you should not take out any leaf from the plant, so that it can grow well and have a good amount of seeds in it.
- must be harvested before it becomes old- one with discolored leaves and unhealthy looks.
- While you are cutting the plant, make sure to leave some of the stems because, the plant will bear some small leaves on it, and you can also take advantage of those leaves but this process is not available for each type of lettuce.
- Cutting leaves is highly recommended because it allows you to make more profit.
- There are some types of lettuce which contain the head, and you can't break their leaves or it won't be able to make the head.
3. How to harvest lettuce seeds?
Whenever a plant become old it produces seeds flower which can be cared so that it can give matured seeds which will be ready to be shown again.
|Harvesting lettuce seeds|
But it's not that easy to get the seeds from the plant because a lot of problems occur while the plant gets old, it has to face the strong wind, rainfall, and many other situations but there are five steps by which we can easily save our the plant from any situation.
- Make sure that the plant is near you or your area, you must keep an eye on the plant to make sure that the plant is totally safe from birds. And you can also water the plant so that it keeps the seeds healthy.
- Make a temporary, transparent circle around the plants so that it will stay safe from strong wind, and also try to cover it from the upper side which will secure the plant from rainfall.
- When you see that the roots are coming up and are visible then you must put some soil to cover the roots, which will prevent the plant from falling down.
- After the plant gets dried, you take to break the upper stems and take out the seeds from there.
- Take the seeds out from the peel and keep it in a container where the seeds will stay safe from any pests or microorganisms. Store the seeds for more than one month, after that only the seeds, will be ready to be shown again.
4. Warnings while harvesting
While harvesting, don't pack it tight, or else you will found rotten and tired lettuce when you oped the packed bag, after that your mood for eating will go very far from you.
Make sure to remove the old leave from the plant or while cutting the leaves, this will increase the freshness of your lettuce.
Use proper gloves while using tools for cutting lettuce, I have got many small cuts in hands while cutting without gloves, but if you cut properly and slowly then there is nothing to worry for.
Wash lettuce thoroughly before use, it must not contain any dust particles. The white fluid that you see while cutting is also sticky and you won't like to carry lettuce if the fluid gets spread on the leaves.
5. What to do after harvesting?So you took out all the lettuce had and used it. But is it the last benefit you will get from lettuce plant? No! You can still get some small lettuce leaves after you trim the plant. (cut and come again process.)
One thing you have to keep in mind is that you have to leave some of the stems in the field so that it can grow again with small leaves, and these leaves are smaller than the main head, but it can be used again, although it is smaller in size you can use it, it tastes as same as the main plant.
Keep watering the plant regularly so that it can grow again with a good quantity of leaves.
You can remove the weeds that grow around the lettuce plant, and loosen the soil for the better growth of the small leaves.
6. What is the Exact time for harvesting lettuce?Once you have grown lettuce, you need to water them, remove the weeds and other care that the plant needs.
After 2 months of growing, it will become ready for harvest, but it depends on the growth of the plant, it must have grown about 6 to 8 inches or above.
Some types of lettuce are not able to grow such long, but they produce ahead, and by looking at the plant you can decide its harvesting time. Those types of lettuce can be harvested when the head becomes ready.
For cutting leaves you can start harvesting lettuce after 30-40 days of planting lettuce.
7. How to take before harvesting?
- After planting lettuce into the fields, keep watering after every 2 days, but don't let the field become watery.
- As you water the field, some weeds will come out to remove all the weeds because they consume the nutrition required by the lettuce plant.
- Loosen the soil periodically, it will allow the plant to obtain the required amount of nutrition from the soil.
- Break cut the outer leaves of the plant, to allow it to grow without any disturbance.
- Lettuce is not affected by many insects, but in case of yours if needed then use nature-friendly insecticides.
8. Planting lettuce
Lettuce plantation is quite simple and easy but it needs some useful steps to grow well.
- First of all, you will have to select good quality seeds.
- After that select a small part of the land to throw lettuce seeds there.
- Now water the seeds let it grow well.
- Apply fertilizers at the main field where you want to grow lettuce.
- Then take it on the main field and so there at a distance between 7-8 centimeters.
- Keep on watering the field to avoid drought.
9. Best types of lettuce to grow
1. Leaf lettuce-this is one of the common lettuce grow in almost every country where agriculture is possible, and it is also one of the beautiful looking lettuce. There are three colors of leaf lettuce, yellow, red, green.
If you want to grow lettuce for consumption at your home, then leaf lettuce will be the best choice because there are many advantages of growing leaf lettuce.
2. Iceburg lettuce
10. Lettuce seeds
This article is created to help people who want to know about "harvesting lettuce" some more information is added in this article to let people know something more useful.
All the information given in this article, are based on true research and experiments.
We don't recommend people to use any king of inorganic insecticides and pesticides.