All types of lettuce explained in details (with comparison)
Different types of lettuce explained in details - people may know about lettuce, but still, there are many, who don't know about - all types of lettuce and different lettuce types.
|types of lettuce explained in details. (with comparison)|
Lettuce is a salad plant, well it can be used in many other recipes and meals, but the meaning of word "lettuce" stands for salad.
It is known that lettuce was first discovered by the Greeks and Romans.
This plant is grown in almost all country where agriculture is practiced within the country.
Nearly 50 % of lettuce consumers are from America, because of it's nutritional value and health benefits.
Different Types of lettuce
In this article, I will mention 10 types of lettuce which are actually known as lettuce only.
1. leaf lettuce
This type of plants is of three colors - yellow, red, dark green. You can go for any color you like but yellow leaf lettuce is highly recommended because according to our research, it was found that it grows taller and bare more leafs then the one with other colors.
Red leaf - grows with the same techniques and materials required in case of growing any type of leaf lettuce.
Green leaf - some changes can be made while applying fertilizers because it can grow without many fertilizers, as required by other types of leaf lettuce.
Yellow leaf - it grows taller and gives much more productive when compared with other types of leaf lettuce.
Why choose leaf lettuce?
- It is very trusted, many people would like to choose leaf lettuce because it's good looking than others
- Can be grown at most of the climatic conditions
- Leaves are very smooth and soft.
- Gives more production than any other.
- Healthiest food - leaf lettuce is used in many types of recipes. (including burger, pizza, and sandwiches)
- It is available in three colors, whereas others are on limited colors,
- Suitable for "cut and come again" (after harvesting, the plant continues to bare some leaves which can be used again) process.
- Leaf lettuce cannot be stored for a long period of time,
- If stored outdoor for more then six hours; it will be no fresher,
- Needs extra care for storing and transportation,
- Must be used within 24 hours of harvesting if stored normally without any cooling effect.
2. Iceburg lettuce
It is not as tasty as others, but you can store it more than any other, because it is tightly packed, and the head doesn't get tired, but before storing you can remove the outer leaves.
Why choose iceburg lettuce?It can be stored twice the time of other lettuce, which is a great option for those who don't want to visit the market every single day,
It contains head which is again a plus point for iceburg lettuce.
The leaves are crisps and it feels better when added to a salad.
Disadvantages of iceburg;
3. Romaine lettuce
Romaine is usually of green and dark green colors, but the stems look whitest yellow.
It can also be found in some more colors but are not much popular as leaf lettuce.
It is costly then leaf lettuce because of it's less availability.
Why choose romaine lettuce?
- Romaine is the strongest lettuce, it can be grown even in high temperatures whereas others cannot be.
- It has a sweet and bitter taste.
- Highly consumed lettuce in some developing countries.
- When compared with others, romaine lettuce has a better taste.
- It has crisps leaves which can add extra crunch at your salad.
Disadvantages of romaine:
- It has dark green leaves which is not much attractive as others.
- Romaine lettuce is also known as devil's lettuce because,
- Some romaine lettuce contains E. Coil bacteria and,
- At an early period, many people got affected by the infection of E. Coil bacteria.
- Still, science is not sure that the consumption of romaine is safe or not,
- Direct consumption of romaine may still be dangerous,
- Romaine is not as trusted as others.
- It doesn't stay fresh for a long time after it has been harvested.
- It has to be cared for properly while transportation.
Why choose celtuce lettuce?
- If you like to eat vegetables with steams then celtuce is the best choice for you.
- Steams are only available on celtuce, no other types can give this benefit
- Leaves are almost the same as leaf lettuce, with a yellowish color.
- It can be stored for a long duration if the aim is to eat steam only.
- It can be transported for a long distance and that also without losing much freshness.
- Celtuce is not suitable for growing in any climatic condition and soil.
- The high amount of water is needed to grow celtuce,
- It doesn't provide a high amount of leaves which is the main feature of lettuce, that is present in many other lettuces.
5. Radicchio lettuce
If you are confused between red cabbage and radicchio, then you must keep in mind that, cabbage and lettuce are far different from each other in taste, so don't be confused by their colors.
This lettuce has got head in some of its types, but the head is very lightweight then red cabbage.
It can be eaten raw or even by cooking like others, but you will get the perfect value for this lettuce when you use them in sandwiches, pasta, and burgers.
Why choose radicchio?
- If you are looking for a colorful salad then you can go for this because it makes your salad look professional.
- There are many types of this, just like leaf lettuce and you can choose any of them for you.
- If you are looking for redhead lettuce then radicchio will be the best choice for you, especially when you look for taste with beauty.
- The leaves are soft and crisps.
- It becomes ready for harvest after 3 - weeks of the plantation.
6. Butter lettuce
Advantages of butter lettuce,
Disadvantages of butter lettuce;
Butter lettuce is known as the softest one, so it has got some disadvantage if you choose,
While harvesting butter lettuce, you need to take proper care of its leaves or it will look unhealthy.
While transportation, you will have to pack it very lightly and with proper care or? You know what will happen.
This lettuce cannot be stored for a long time,
While cooking, leaves melt and you won't feel the taste well.